SAM EYDE - an industrial pioneer
When the place Staksnes right outside of Arendal was to be renamed, the name Eydehavn was chosen after the industrial entrepreneur Sam Eyde (picture. Sam Eyde pioneered in the development of Staksnes’ industry.)
Sam Eyde was one of the main architects of the second industrial revolution in Norway from 1900-1920. As a key figure during this revolution, he was instrumental in the development of the first power-intensive industry in Norway. Together with his team of engineers, he built the first high-pressure plant in Norway at Tyssefallene in the Hardangerfjord. They also built Europe’s largest hydropower plant at Svelgfoss in Notodden, and the world’s largest power plant at Vemork near Rjukan.
Around the middle of the First World War, it was Eyde and his engineers who developed most of the power-intensive industry in Norway. They also helped to create the two-part power supply pattern that has been so special in Norway. This two-part power supply pattern invloves using a large private power producer to supply all or part of the power-intensive industry with electricity, while the public sector, namely the state or the municipality, takes on the responsibility to supply the rest.
So, why Eyde Energy Park? The answer is simple. We feel it is befitting to pay homeage to Sam Eyde, a name so inextricably linked to the second phase of the industrial revolution in Norway, as we enter into a new chapter involving industries that will lead the way in the green shift, beginning with Morrow’s Giga battery factory at the park. In our eyes, it links the past to the future, perfectly.
An industrial site in Arendal municipality, 10 km northeast of Arendal city. The place was previously named Næs (Nes) after the farm of the same name, but was named Eydehavn after the industrial founder Sam Eyde on July 12, 1913. In 1922, the name was officially changed to “Eydehamn”, but was changed back to Eydehavn in 1964. Eydehavn was previously it’s own settlement, but is now part of Arendal municipality.
Mining for iron has been traced in the area from the 17th century, and there were mines on Buøya and Frisøya, among other places. The ore was transported by ship to Norwegian ironworks located in the east of the country. Mining ceased in the latter half of the 19th century, due to the closure of all Norwegian ironworks, except Næs Ironworks.
The Second World War
During World War II, the Germans operated both the silicon carbide plant and the aluminum plant with the intention of producing for their war industry. This required measures to prevent sabotage and airstrikes by the allies, and a force was deployed at Eydehavn. An Allied intelligence report from 1941 claims that there were 250 soldiers on the scene and four cannon positions.
Nevertheless, Kompani Linge members managed to break into Arendal Smelter and blew up the transformers in “Operation Company” in 1943. They parachuted over Aust-Agder, where the goal was to blow up the transformers at Arendal Smelter. They landed at Flatenfoss power station and set off on foot towards Eydehavn. They lay for several days in the forest by the smelter doing reconnaissance at the plant. The sabotage operation was successful with a complete halt in the smelter’s production until the war ended.
The aluminum plant was closed down in 1975, while the silicon carbide plant today forms part of the international group Fiven.
Arendal harbor is Arendal municipal harbor service’s quay facility on the smelter’s old deepwater quay at Eydehavn, which opened in 2008. In 2008, the Canal Street festival had concerts at the harbor, with performances by, among others, deLillos and Bertine Zetlitz.